Well, here's the story. Yesterday I called the neuro surgeon's office to talk to them about some if the issues we have been having with Micah lately. He has been extremely irritable and very sensitive to anything touching him especially clothes. Anyways, the nurse called me back last night. She pulled up his MRI from September and read this to me. He has "hyper intensity in the peritrigonal white matter in his brain." What does this mean? It means he has some form of cerebral palsy. I am NOT upset but just surprised that nobody has mentioned this before now. It was not detected here in Kalamazoo back in February. We are being referred to pediatric neurology as well as occupational therapy. From what I have researched, this could be the reason for his strabismus in his eyes, the seizure, swallowing issues, and speech problems. These also closely follow the symptoms of chiari which makes it kind of confusing. However, it does help us to know that he has this because it shifts our perspective on things. Whatever damage was done is done. It cannot be fixed. We need to now focus on "managing" his issues. Yes, he needed the chiari decompression surgery and has made great improvements and is still improving. We just need to make sure he is getting all of the help that he needs. It's probably a good thing that we did find out about the chiari first so that could be taken care of. It could be up to two months before we get in to see the pediatric neurologist. I will update as I find out more of course.
1 comment:
wow...that probably answers a lot more questions for you guys! praying for you all!
Post a Comment